8.15.2008

thoughts on this new town

I might poke a lot of fun at my new place of residence, but in all honesty it's not so bad. I'm just still getting used to the idea of it, as my whole college career I dreamed of the day I graduated and my life went a little something like this:

1. move into a city that is large enough that its airport delays are announced on the Today Show
2. buy mace.
3. fit all of my stuff into a walkup studio apartment above a dirty Chinese restaurant
4. walk to starbucks on my corner (or the next one if the line is too long), order tea because i hate coffee, and carry it around city of choice pretending to be important
5. take public transportation to work
6. lug gym bag to nearest pilates/hip hop dance studio.
7. quick shower/change into stilettos, walk to neighborhood hot-spot for dinner/drinks with friends OR call in an Indian food order.
8. bury head into pillow to drown out constant sirens
9. wake up and do it all again

Okay, so maybe I've watched a little too much Sex and the City. But I really do feel a little smothered living where I do. I get the feeling that when I walk anywhere, people are looking at me like I'm either crazy, homeless, or both. In fact, at my last job, I suggested the other intern and I take a walk to the Starbucks across the street to pick up coffee for our bosses. "Walk?" she asked me, incredulous, "Across the street?!"

This small town does have its charms, though. Everywhere I go, I get this tinge of excitement that I might see someone I know. And, this usually happens. The other night I was out to dinner with two old friends who each ended up living in this town. I noticed a guy across the restaurant who looked familiar; upon further inspection I realized he had been in a few of my classes in college across the state. I mentioned this to my friends, one of whom said "Oh, him? Yeah, he and I work in the same industry. He's kind of a dick." My other friend said, "Oh him? He was my first kiss back in 8th grade." Ah, living in a small town.

Another perk -- I have a Toyota Prius in a land of gas guzzlers and 4-wheelers. This little environmentally friendly fact makes me sort of... exotic.

Also it should be noted that I have a cute little two bedroom house with a huge backyard for a third of the price I would pay to rent aforementioned studio apartment in The Big City.

I don't know though...sometimes I think the extra debt might be worth it.

No comments: