8.12.2008

welcome to my life.

Don't you hate this awkward, first post, about me nonsense? Me too. But here's my story anyway:

After graduating college in December, I made the nearly impossible choice of whether to leave my fiance to fend for himself while in med school and move away from him, or move with him to the. middle. of. nowhere. I chose the latter, after promises of a great job and a masters program and happily ever after. Here I am, with no job and with no master's program. The happily ever after is still intact.

It's not as melodramatic as I make it seem (and boy do I love to whine). My job starts September 1st, so for the next two weeks while fiance is cramming every morsel of biochemistry possible into his brain, I'll be constantly refreshing PerezHilton.com, playing with photoshop, and watching the most obscure of Olympic events as I sit at home with absolutely no responsibilities and, in this new town, absolutely no friends. The thought makes me want to gauge my eyes out. I'm the type of person who needs a short term goal (a project, a test to study for, a party to plan, a marathon to run) and an empty schedule will likely push me to insanity. But we'll see.

As for the master's program, I'm pushing that back a year. The program is in its first year and incredibly disorganized. One of my favorite hobbies is gazing at the websites of master's/PhD programs at other schools that I could be starting had I not moved here, and marveling at their orientations! their freshman class retreats! their comraderie between students! their tutoring programs! This new, first year program has none of that, in fact in a meeting with the director he was unable to tell me when classes start. I decided to give it a year.... I don't think I trust them with my education just yet.

Luckily, to occupy my time I have quite the party to plan -- our wedding, which is still dateless. Until we can pinpoint a date --which is taking its sweet time, thanks to some communication issues -- there's really not much I can do. So, for now, it's back to PerezHilton , Michael Phelps, and the occasional pilates class.

No comments: