4.06.2009

Manic Sunday

The most talked-about money saving tip for weddings tells you to have your wedding on an off day – like a Sunday. I don’t buy it. Maybe this works in larger cities, where not everyone is in church on Sunday, but down here smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt the Sunday wedding is a little bit of an anomaly.

First of all, I’ve had an increase in vendor confusion. When I say June 28th, they say, “You know that’s a Sunday, right? Did you mean June 27th?” I would honestly not be surprised if my food sat at my venue overnight because someone got confused. (Don’t worry, I WILL be double checking this.)

I’ve also experienced extra fees because most places won’t be open on Sunday. Thus, they feel the need to charge me an extra , I don’t know, THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS (I’m looking at you, bakery that shall not be named). One bakery refused to even talk to me because they were closed on Sunday, which to me just screams awful business practice. They’re going to pass up around $500 in business because they can’t get someone to come in for an hour and drop off a cake? Don’t try and act like they bake and decorate wedding cakes fresh the same day… I know you’d be doing all the work on Friday and Saturday anyway!

And perhaps the worst disadvantage to the Sunday wedding is the fact that a lot of our out of town guests, who are very important to us, won’t be able to attend because they have to be at work on Monday.

But we didn’t choose our date in order to save money – we had to because of our religion. Jewish weddings are not supposed to take place on Shabbat, which in the summertime doesn’t end until Saturday at around 8 pm – a little too late to start a wedding, don’t you think? I was happy to adhere to religious customs, but we were supposed to get a little money saving action out of this! Instead, it’s just been a lot of headache.

Wish me luck in finding a hairstylist that works on Sundays!

No comments: