05.09.08
Three weeks ago tomorrow, the FIANCE put his car in park, remained in his seatbelt (safety first!) and asked me to marry him. There was no kneeling, no theatrics, just us, the Corolla and probably something on npr. It was simple, not exactly a great story to tell the grandkids – but of the people who do not exist solely on a movie screen, who does that stuff actually happen to? I’m convinced that actual romantic moments do not happen in real life, at least not in mine. Things just kind of happen.
Unfortunately I abandoned my livejournal (And with it, hopefully some of my immaturity) awhile ago, otherwise I would have run straight home to document exactly what he said (As I did the morning after he told me he loved me). So all I can say is that it was basically him telling me (again) how happy he was that I was moving with him for med school, and that he would be there for me. “I’m serious”. And then a little green box.
Since I can be such an ice queen, I had a fear that I would get engaged and make it all about the superficial. Forget about the fact that somebody loves me enough to a) spend an insane amount of money on a piece of jewelry and b) take care of me until my teeth soak in a glass of water at night, and worry about how best to approach the fact that I do NOT look good in white.
And I am excited about the wedding, I cannot deny that I picked up paint samples to create the perfect color palette for our flowers. Or bought the biggest, fattest wedding magazine available at Barnes and Noble. But every time I think about that other stuff – the, you know, love part of it – it really does make me feel a little funny. And it’s hard to tell, but I think maybe the funny feeling is actually just me being really, really happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment